Mr Manuel Furtwängler, First Secretary, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Mr Harald Egel, Chief Executive Officer, MAXON Computer GmbH
Mr Vincent Ong, Managing Director, IM Innovations and Managing Director, MAXON Competence Centre Singapore-ASEAN
Ladies and Gentlemen,
It gives me great pleasure to be here for the opening of the MAXON Competence Centre Singapore-ASEAN. This centre is the third competence centre for MAXON, after Japan and France making it also the first in ASEAN.
2. MAXON is definitely a key player in today’s media industry. Its animation technology has been behind many successful international blockbusters from Iron Man 2 to The Golden Compass, Spider Man 3, Chronicles of Narnia and The Incredible Hulk to name a few.
3. By locating this Centre in Singapore, our local animators, students and media professionals have much to be excited about. MAXON is now opening the door for you to learn and upskill with one of industry’s best 3D technology. Hope you can make use of the opportunities available at the Centre to produce cutting-edge work of international standard, and to power future innovation in entertainment.
4. Beyond entertainment, animation technology has a place in many other areas and the marriage of technology with content can enhance lives in a meaningful way. When I was first told about the plan to set up a MAXON Competence Centre, I was struck by just how diverse the use of CINEMA 4D can be. This powerful, yet simple-to-use software is used not just by media professionals, IT professionals, architects, but also in the arts by stage performers in artistic productions and even by primary school students.
5. For example, the “Singapore History Alive with 3D” project has original 3D content based on the Ministry of Education’s social studies syllabus and makes history come alive. Supported by the MDA, the project has been successfully tested on students in Pasir Ris Primary School. It creates a rich learning experience for students and allows them to re-live the sights and sounds of Singapore’s history through the integration of 3D digital media, online games and quizzes. I hope to see more of such content, combining technology with good quality content, being produced by the Centre in partnership with our local talents.
6. This Centre would not be possible without IM Innovations. I would like to commend them for their efforts in bringing the Centre to Singapore and for opening up new areas in arts performances and education in addition to the conventional aspects of 3D visual effects.
7. Being situated at Mediapolis Phase Zero, an incubation centre and prototype of Mediapolis, the Centre will join more than 50 media and media related incubators, incubatees and start-ups since its set-up in January last year. This will allow for strategic exchange of ideas, and will fuel activities, synergy and collaboration within a community of close-knit, like-minded professionals.
8. To date, Mediapolis Phase Zero has attracted an international ecosystem of digital media players from the US, UK, China, India, Korea and Philippines, just to name a few. Among these are the Serious Games Institute, Sunwoo Asia Pacific, Red 5 Singapore, Lakshya Digital Singapore and FireForge.
9. I am confident that the MAXON Competence Centre will be able to develop new partnerships and add to the vibrancy of the media ecosystem here at Phase Zero.
10. I wish the Centre every success. Thank you.