Last updated: 13 March 2023
Published on: 06 December 2016
8 MINS READ
Singapore makes a strong showing at this year’s Asia Television Forum and Market 2016 (ATF), with 65 local media companies showcasing their latest works. The ATF is part of the ongoing Singapore Media Festival.
SINGAPORE – 6 December, 2016:The Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA) presents a line-up of over 700 hours of compelling Asian stories through more than 50 film and television titles of various genres. They come from producers like BananaMana Films, Bert Pictures, Sparky Animation, and Sunrise Entertainment, as well as distributors like mm2 Entertainment, Ying Group, and Silver Wolf International.Capturing the Asian Voice | Original formats and content with Asian appeal
- Four up-and-coming Singapore directors, four love stories, all in one movie; each telling a tale about the journey of love across life’s various stages. 4Love is an omnibus film by M. Raihan Halim, Gilbert Chan, Sam Loh and Daniel Yam, and is presented and distributed by mm2 Entertainment. It made its World Premiere at the 27th Singapore International Film Festival, and was released in theatres on 1 December 2016.
- Salam Ramadhan UK & Salam Ramadhan Korea follows the lives of Muslims living in the United Kingdom and Korea, and how they observe Ramadhan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar. The info-edutainment presents the narratives of individuals from these local communities in an engaging and entertaining fashion, and is expected to be completed in 2017. Both series are produced by Monstrou Studio, in association with Clover Sky and distributed by Silver Wolf International.
- City Buskers is a factual entertainment series that brings viewers on a musical adventure across eight Asian cities – each stop sees three vibrant musicians busk on the streets, immersing themselves in the city’s unique music. City Buskers is produced by Verite Productions and Third Floor Pictures, and is distributed by Ying Group.
- From a Japanese island village where cats outnumber humans, to an Indian town famed for its Charlie Chaplin fans, hosts Joanne Peh, Allan Wu and Joanna Dong explore the hidden stories of Unique Towns in this ten-episode Mandarin television series. Unique Towns is produced by August Pictures.
- In Big Food, host Greta Georges discovers what it takes to make, manage and move massive amounts of food. This larger-than-life television series, produced by The Moving Visuals Co., sees her travelling the globe in search of the giants of the catering world – from a paella competition in Spain, a free kitchen feeing 80,000 people a day in Punjab, to a wedding for 1,400 guests in Singapore! Big Food was recently nominated for Best Infotainment at the Asia Rainbow TV Awards.
Upcoming titles to look forward to | Singapore companies gear up for an exciting line-up of film and television in 2017 and beyond
- Wonder Boy is the biopic of acclaimed Singaporean singer-songwriter Dick Lee, loosely based on Lee’s childhood years that led to the release of his first album. Set in early 1970s Singapore, the film centres on a musically-inclined social outcast who starts his coming-of-age journey after he forms a band – The Wonder Boys. Produced by Bert Pictures & mm2 Entertainment, the film is slated for release in August 2017.
- Take 2 (遇见贵人) produced by J Team Productions and mm2 Entertainment sees four ex-offenders’ attempts to start anew, but instead wind up landing themselves in hilarious situations. The movie is scheduled for release during Chinese New Year 2017, and stars Maxi Lim (Ah Boys to Men), Ryan Lian (Long Long Time Ago), getai veteran Wang Lei, and Malaysian comedian Gadrick Chin.
- Lucky Boy tells the story of a boy Lin Yu, who is constantly surrounded by misfortune, but countless could-have-been encounters with his first love might just turn his luck around. Lucky Boy (天宮仔) is produced by Clover Films, mm2 Entertainment, J Team Productions, FOX Networks Group Asia Pacific and StarHub, and is helmed by Singaporean director, Boris Boo. The film captures the growth and experiences of the lead character – played by both Wang Wei Liang (Ah Boys to Men 3) and Chew Chor Meng (It’s a Great, Great World) – alongside the change and development of Singapore over the years.
- Barangay 143 is an original animated series about a lost youngster in search of a father, and how he finds an unlikely family in a team of misfits. Set against the action-packed world of street basketball, this story on love and family is co-produced by August Media Holdings (Singapore) and Synergy88 Entertainment Media Inc (Philippines), and is slated to be completed in 2017. Barangay 143 will be available for distribution in both English and Tagalog.
- After a successful run of its first season, Jack – the human-like terrestrial from asteroid Beano – and his sidekicks CHIP and Rocket return to more adventures in Season 2! This animated series presented by Singapore-based Sparky Animation and PVP Jack Inc. hopes to stir the curiosity of 6-to-9 year olds and encourage children to have fun while learning Science.
Innovative storytelling and fresh genres | Diverse platforms to tell our stories in new ways
- In the complex world of Mixed Martial Arts, a rising star, Kit, fights to take on blow after blow in the cage, as well as those from the numerous issues in her life. K.O. is a brand new Mandarin web-drama by Singapore-based Sitting in Pictures, and is scheduled for release in December 2016.
- Jimami Tofu, a web telemovie by BananaMana Films, is a romance drama revolving around a Singaporean chef who finds himself in Okinawa, begging an old chef to teach him traditional Okinawan food, and a top Japanese food critic who travels to Singapore to discover Southeast Asian cuisine. Set to complete principal photography in December 2016, the film has already gained interest from international distributors around the world. [BananaMana Films will be making an announcement at the Singapore Pavilion on 8 Dec, 3pm]
SNEAK PEEKS AT ATF 2016
- Upcoming film and television content offerings from participating Singapore media companies will be showcased during a Sneak Peeks session on Wednesday 7 December, 2pm – 4pm. It will be followed by Singapore Hour at 4pm (on both 7 and 8 December) – a networking reception organised by IMDA, where guests will get to network with industry partners. Both events will be held at the Singapore Pavilion (E08, Level 5, Grand Ballroom, Sands Expo & Convention Centre).
Annex A:Information on participating companies at the Asia Television Forum & Market 2016 (287.74KB)
Annex B: List of Sneak Peeks that will be screened on Wednesday 7 December, 2pm – 4pm (320.18KB)
Annex C: Information on the Singapore Media Festival (480.36KB)
ISSUED BY THE INFOCOMM MEDIA DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
About the Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA)
The Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA) will develop a vibrant, world-class infocomm media sector that drives the economy, connects people, bonds communities and powers Singapore's Smart Nation vision. IMDA does this by developing talent, strengthening business capabilities, and enhancing Singapore's ICT and media infrastructure. IMDA also regulates the telecommunications and media sectors to safeguard consumer interests while fostering a pro-business environment. IMDA also enhances Singapore’s data protection regime through the Personal Data Protection Commission. For more news and information, visit www.imda.gov.sg or follow IMDA on Facebook IMDAsg and Twitter @IMDAsg.
About the Singapore Media Festival
The Singapore Media Festival, hosted by the Info-communications Media Development Authority is set to become one of Asia’s leading international media events, where the industry meets to discover the latest trends, talents and content in Asia for Film, TV and digital media. Taking place from 23 November to 9 December 2016, the Singapore Media Festival brings together established media events such as the Singapore International Film Festival (SGIFF), Asia TV Forum & Market (ATF) and ScreenSingapore (SS) and Asian Television Awards (ATA), as well as a new digital event SMF Ignite and associate events, the Cable & Satellite Broadcasting of Asia (CASBAA) Spotlight Series and ciNE65 by Nexus. For more information about the Singapore Media Festival, please visit www.sgmediafestival.com.
For media enquiries and interview opportunities, please contact:
Sarah-Marie TEO (Ms)
DID: (65) 9795 7110
Joannah ZHONG (Ms)
Assistant Manager, Industry & Marketing Communications, IMDA
Info-communications Media Development Authority
DID: (65) 9728 9956
IMDA and United States Federal Communications commission signed MOU to promote bilateral cooperation
The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) of Singapore and the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) have...
Nominations for 3rd edition of 100 Women in Tech list now open
Public invited to nominate women who are making an impact on Singapore’s tech industry “Girls in Tech” category returns for female...
Singapore and the European Free Trade Association launch negotiations on Digital Economy Agreement
Singapore and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) have launched negotiations on an EFTA-Singapore Digital Economy Agreement...
Singapore and the European Union Sign Digital Partnership
Minister-in-charge of Trade Relations S Iswaran and European Commissioner for Internal Market Thierry Breton signed the...
Singapore firms can now tap on Temus-IMDA's talent conversion programme to fill tech roles
Singapore’s Minister for Communications and Information Mrs Josephine Teo officiated the launch of Temus’ Step IT Up programme...
Enhanced measures against scam SMS
As part of the measures announced by the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) in October last year, all organisations that...
IMDA and ACMA signed Memorandum of Understanding for enhanced cooperation to combat scam and spam communications
Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) and Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) signed Memorandum of...
The Korea-Singapore Digital Partnership Agreement Enters into force
The Korea-Singapore Digital Partnership Agreement (KSDPA) will enter into force on 14 January 2023. The KSDPA was signed by Second...
IMDA announces a $5 million fund to support Singapore’s media industry to adopt virtual production
To ensure that the local media industry remains competitive as the international partner of choice to create premium IP, the...
20 Industry Digital Plans, which have contributed to the uplifting of more than 85,000 businesses, will be progressively refreshed, with the Food Services Sector being the first to benefit from the refreshed model
The refreshed Food Services Industry Digital Plan will include a refreshed Digital Solution Roadmap, introduction of a roadmap...