Last updated: 13 March 2023
Published on: 19 October 2018
10 MINS READ
Singapore presents over 460 hours of quality content for a global audience at MIPCOM 2018
SINGAPORE - 19 October, 2018: This year, Singapore’s Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) will lead its biggest delegation of 19 Singapore media companies to MIPCOM 2018, presenting over 460 hours of compelling stories from Singapore and Asia across some 70 titles. The Singapore companies at the market will be presenting content that range from those celebrating Asia’s rich stories and innovative storytelling formats, to diverse collaborations and content that appeal to global audiences.
Storytelling with fresh content formats | Exploring innovative ways of storytelling
- First Man Out is the largest-scale survival series in 4K format (4,000 pixels) produced by Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific (DNAP) and Singapore’s Beach House Pictures in a partnership between DNAP and Singapore’s Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA). The ground-breaking series, which will premiere in the first quarter of 2019, pushes the survival genre into a new space. First Man Out features survivalist Ed Stafford facing a different and equally skilled opponent in a race to be the first to reach a pre-determined extraction point in some of Asia’s deadliest environments.
- The three-episode virtual reality documentary Wasted Earth by Singapore-based production company Sorahouse (Sora Media) takes viewers on an immersive 360 experience of spectacular places in Asia that have turned into wastelands at the hands of men. Told through the viewpoints of the people living through it, the series presents a heart-breaking reality of the drastic ways we are reshaping our earth.
Spotlighting made-with-Singapore content | International collaboration opportunities
- Supported under a partnership between IMDA and HBO Asia, Singapore’s production house Zhao Wei Films produced Folklore, a horror anthology gathering six well-known directors from around Asia to bring to life haunting tales based on Asian supernatural beliefs.
- Helmed by Singaporean filmmaker Eric Khoo, who is the creator and showrunner, the series was shot and produced in six Asian countries in local languages, and directed by acclaimed directors including Joko Anwar, Pen-ek Ratanaruang and Ho Yuhang. Prior to its broadcast premiere on HBO, all six episodes each made their global debut at major international film festivals including Toronto International Film Festival (Toronto, Canada), SITGES International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia (Barcelona, Spain) and Fantastic Fest (Texas, USA). Folklore will be distributed to territories including Spain (on HBO España), Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark (on HBO Nordic), and in Central European territories including Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Romania and Croatia (on HBO Europe). It will also be available to HBO’s U.S. subscribers across the channel’s platforms, including HBO GO®, HBO NOW®, HBO On Demand®, and participating television and streaming partner platforms.
- Another co-production with HBO Asia and Singapore-based Infinite Studios is Grisse, an eight-part original period drama series set in the mid-1800s within the colonial period of the Dutch East Indies. The series chronicles the rebellion against the brutal governor of a Dutch town called Grisse, and features actors from Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia and Europe. The series is directed by showrunner Mike Wiluan, alongside local director Ler Jiyuan in his first collaboration with HBO. Grisse will premiere in Asia on 4 November, and will be distributed to territories including Spain (on HBO España), Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark (on HBO Nordic), and in Central European territories including Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Romania and Croatia (on HBO Europe). It will also be available to HBO’s U.S. subscribers across the channel’s platforms, including HBO GO®, HBO NOW®, HBO On Demand®, and participating television and streaming partner platforms.
- Animated TV series Water Puppies is a co-production by Singapore’s Beach House Pictures and Malaysia’s Giggle Garage. The series, which is currently in development, presents the adventures of a family of five curious otters from their point of view, following their move from the country to the big city.
- The Association of Independent Producers (AIPRO), an accredited professional body representing the interests of all organisations from Singapore’s independent media production industry, will be signing an MOU to form the Global Creative Alliance (GCA) with 14 other film trade associations from around the world. The new partnership encourages more effective international collaboration between producers and increases opportunities for co-productions.
Showcasing the rich stories and cultures of Asia | Celebrating Asian storytelling
- Salam Ramadan Sarawak and Salam Ramadan Sabah follow the lives of Muslims living in Sarawak and Sabah, exploring the unique ways in which different communities observe Ramadan – the holiest month in the Islamic calendar. The info-edutainment series is produced and distributed by Monstrou Studio, and presents the narratives of individuals from these local communities in an engaging and entertaining fashion. Both shows are currently in production.
- Animation design studio Chips and Toon presents a new children’s animated comedy series: Fox Tales (52 X 5.5mins) at MIP Junior and MIPCOM. The title is a fairy tale with a local twist – the protagonist, the ever curious and playful fox Snow, has a magical bushy tail allowing her to write Chinese characters in mid-air and make the words come to life. Little Snow conjures up loads of fun and also trouble, as she and her friends explore and play in the enchanted forest and beyond.
- A first-time participant at MIPCOM, Weiyu Films has produced a Mandarin TV and online series, Divided 分裂. The psychological thriller uncovers the mystery behind a university student who was found dead in his dorm room. It follows the chain of events leading up to the death, retold from four different perspectives. Weiyu Films is also producing another Mandarin action drama, Blessed Reunion杀手过腥年 (working title) and has completed the production of English crime drama, Code of Law.
- Mr Midnight, currently in development, also by Beach House Pictures, is a 13-part comedy-horror TV series inspired by the best-selling book series of the same title. The series is set in a rapidly developing Asian city and showcases the rich cultures, superstitions and beliefs of Southeast Asia.
- Singapore’s Big 3 Media participates in MIPCOM for the first time, presenting nine different titles that range from science fiction drama to children’s comedy. Titles such as Bhak, which features the adventures of two Indian filmmakers who set out to make a movie, and Dear DJ, about a female university student on her journey to becoming a DJ, have been picked up for screening on online video platforms HOOQ and iQiyi respectively.
A global demand for Singapore content | Taking Asian stories to the world
- Singapore production outfit Peddling Pictures, headed by award-winning filmmaker Aditya Thayi and former Endemol Shine head of line production Kavitha Wijeyaratne, will be premiering its non-fiction original series Prison Food on Discovery Channel Southeast Asia. The documentary follows a Filipino-American chef Johneric Concordia as he heads into some of the world’s most notorious and unique prisons, to bring different flavours to prison food with the limited resources available.
- Season One of Insectibles by Singapore-based One Animation has been picked up for screening across a variety of global channels, including Germany’s KIKA; Discovery Kids in Latin America, Middle East and Asia; Portugal’s SIC, Africa’s Canal+; Israel’s HOP; Mongolia’s TV5 and New Zealand’s TVNZ. The animated TV series takes children into a world of micro proportions and exciting adventures when Zak and his grandpa are accidentally shrunk to the size of insects, and they have to trek through the forests as the Insectibles.
- Pre-school animated TV series Counting with Paula features Paula and her friends as they go on exciting adventures to colourful and exotic places, solving problems while teaching children about numbers, math, shapes and more. The popular series has been distributed to China’s iQiyi and CCTV. Its other series, Leo the Wildlife Ranger, which introduces the secrets and wonders of nature and wildlife, has also been licensed for China territory by Pacific Media Group for distribution, licensing and merchandising.
Networking opportunities at MIPCOM 2018
- International trade partners can meet and network with the Singapore delegation during Singapore Hour, taking place on Monday, 15 October, 4pm – 5pm, at the Singapore Pavilion (P-1.C16, P-1.D15). Highlights of the upcoming Singapore Media Festival 2018 will also be available then.
The Singapore Media Festival
- Rounding off the series of international media events at the end of the year is the Singapore Media Festival (SMF), held in Singapore from 28 November to 9 December.
- A flagship annual event organised by IMDA, the SMF is Southeast Asia’s leading international media event that Singapore Media Festival serves as a platform to showcase and recognise the best of Asian storytelling, bringing together Asian talent from around the region to network, connect and collaborate.
- SMF brings together established events across film, television, digital and immersive media, including the Asia TV Forum & Market, ScreenSingapore, Singapore International Film Festival, and the newly introduced Asian Academy Creative Awards. These four partners, along with the festival’s keystone digital event, SMF Ignite, each address a component of Singapore’s vibrant media ecosystem.
- The festival has established itself as a must-attend event in this part of the world, gathering influential, promising and prominent names from the region. In 2017, the festival welcomed the attendance of over 20,000 delegates and festival attendees from over 50 countries. Over the past four editions of the festival, more than US$1 billion worth of deals and partnerships have been made.
- In line with the festival’s aim of driving investment opportunities into the region through collaborations, SMF 2018 will be spotlighting Philippines as its Country-of-Focus in celebration of the 100th year of Philippine cinema this year. The festival will spotlight Philippines, recognising its rich stories, talents and achievements across all of its constituent events.
- The newly introduced Asian Academy Creative Awards (AAA) will be announcing its broadcast deals at MIPCOM’s Singapore Hour on 15 October and will unveil its list of country nominees for popular categories including Best Drama, Best Single Drama or Telemovie, Best Direction (Fiction), Best Actor and Best Actress at The Singapore Party on 16 October.
Annex A: Information on participating companies at the Singapore Pavilion (173.94KB)
Annex B: Information on the Singapore Media Festival 2018 (289.47KB)
More information from Singapore companies can be accessed through this media kit.
ISSUED BY THE INFOCOMM MEDIA DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
About Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA)
The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) leads Singapore’s digital transformation with infocomm media. To do this, IMDA will develop a dynamic digital economy and a cohesive digital society, driven by an exceptional infocomm media (ICM) ecosystem – by developing talent, strengthening business capabilities, and enhancing Singapore's ICM infrastructure. IMDA also regulates the telecommunications and media sectors to safeguard consumer interests while fostering a pro-business environment, and enhances Singapore’s data protection regime through the Personal Data Protection Commission.
For more news and information, visit www.imda.gov.sg or follow IMDA on Facebook IMDAsg and Twitter @IMDAsg.
www.facebook.com/IMDAsg | #SGMediaFest | #TheSingaporeParty
For media enquiries and interview opportunities, please contact:
Assistant Manager (Communications & Marketing)
Info-communications Media Development Authority
T: +65 9817 2983
T: +65 8102 9131
T: +65 9795 7110
IMDA and United States Federal Communications commission signed MOU to promote bilateral cooperation
The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) of Singapore and the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) have...
Nominations for 3rd edition of 100 Women in Tech list now open
Public invited to nominate women who are making an impact on Singapore’s tech industry “Girls in Tech” category returns for female...
Singapore and the European Free Trade Association launch negotiations on Digital Economy Agreement
Singapore and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) have launched negotiations on an EFTA-Singapore Digital Economy Agreement...
Singapore and the European Union Sign Digital Partnership
Minister-in-charge of Trade Relations S Iswaran and European Commissioner for Internal Market Thierry Breton signed the...
Singapore firms can now tap on Temus-IMDA's talent conversion programme to fill tech roles
Singapore’s Minister for Communications and Information Mrs Josephine Teo officiated the launch of Temus’ Step IT Up programme...
Enhanced measures against scam SMS
As part of the measures announced by the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) in October last year, all organisations that...
IMDA and ACMA signed Memorandum of Understanding for enhanced cooperation to combat scam and spam communications
Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) and Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) signed Memorandum of...
The Korea-Singapore Digital Partnership Agreement Enters into force
The Korea-Singapore Digital Partnership Agreement (KSDPA) will enter into force on 14 January 2023. The KSDPA was signed by Second...
IMDA announces a $5 million fund to support Singapore’s media industry to adopt virtual production
To ensure that the local media industry remains competitive as the international partner of choice to create premium IP, the...
20 Industry Digital Plans, which have contributed to the uplifting of more than 85,000 businesses, will be progressively refreshed, with the Food Services Sector being the first to benefit from the refreshed model
The refreshed Food Services Industry Digital Plan will include a refreshed Digital Solution Roadmap, introduction of a roadmap...