Dated: 11 September 2003
The Media Development Authority (MDA) has commissioned an eight-part Malay info-educational series Ikon Wanita (Female Icons) on successful Malay women.
Viewers will get to see what motivates these women and what are their challenges in a world that is dominated by men. From running their own businesses to venturing into politics, find out how these women fought to overcome obstacles both in their personal and professional lives and achieve what they have today.
The eight women are:
• Rosnani Ghani - Owner of Desa Kartika restaurant
• Som Said - Founder and Artistic Director of Sri Warisan Performing Arts Ltd
• Dahlia Bohan - Hockey coach for the youth development squad
• Oniatta Effendi - Literature and English language teacher
• Asmah Laili - Former radio presenter
• Nooraini Nordin - Owner of Nooris Group of Companies and Propnex Pte Ltd
• Christyne Yusof - Owner of Kamarsutra, a boutique that designs their own line of Asian fashion
• Halimah Yacob - Lawyer and Member of Parliament
Ikon Wanita (Female Icons) is produced by Oak3 Films at $160,000. It will be aired on Suria starting Monday, 15 September 2003 at 8.30pm.