2 December 2015 - During MCI’s Committee of Supply Debate in March this year, Minister for Communications and Information, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim announced plans to establish a Creators’ Space. Creators’ Space will offer an environment that nurtures a community of online content creators and encourage the development of professional online video content.
During MCI's Committee of Supply Debate in March this year, Minister for Communications and Information, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim announced plans to establish a Creators' Space. Creators' Space will offer an environment that nurtures a community of online content creators and encourage the development of professional online video content.
Our first Creators' Space partner was Maker Studios, a global leader in short-form online video, and one of the largest content network on YouTube. MDA and Maker Studios launched Maker Bootcamp in May, where over thirty aspiring online content creators from Singapore had the chance to collaborate and learn from some of the biggest stars in online video.
Key updates to Creators' Space
- Speaking at the opening of the Asian Television Forum (ATF) and Screen Singapore which are part of the Singapore Media Festival (SMF), Minister for Communications and Information, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, announced that Creators' Space will be located at PIXEL, a building that was developed by JTC in one-north.
- He also highlighted that Creators' Space will offer programmes and resources in two key areas – a) online content creation capabilities, and b) digital services, technology and platforms.
- The programmes and resources will be backed by companies such as Adobe, Autodesk, Brand New Media, Cloudstringers, Dailymotion and Victorious, in addition to Maker Studios. See Annex A (385.67KB) for details of companies.
- Creators' Space is targeted to be launched in the 2nd half of 2016.
Training programmes to nurture capabilities in online content creation
- Creators' Space will offer training programmes and workshops for online content creators in Singapore to hone their skills in areas like online content production, monetisation, and fan engagement. The programmes will be conducted by qualified media professionals and international experts in the field, and each of the partners will contribute in various aspects.
- For instance, Dailymotion, an established global platform for video hosting and sharing which garners more than 60 million views per day, will bring its expertise in monetising online video content, and organise pitching sessions for creators. This will allow online content creators to secure commercial deals and mentorship opportunities.
- Brand New Media, a global content company with a presence across Australia, Europe, the United States and Southeast Asia, will bring with them a strong network of brands that are keen to engage creators for content marketing campaigns. Their experience in creating and operating digital channels for the world's leading brands and broadcasters will open opportunities for creators to engage with popular commercial brands. There are also plans to launch a series of workshops on content marketing for creators in Singapore.
- Victorious, a mobile platform for creators and their superfans, will facilitate collaborations between content creators, brands and the media industry to create world class content and build platforms for their fan communities.
Digital services, technology and platforms available at Creators' Space
- Creators' Space will also provide access to a range of video production resources, including hardware and software such as video editing, cloud storage and analytics tools. The available resources will equip creators with the necessary capabilities to execute their work efficiently and produce high quality professional online videos.
- Autodesk, a leader in 3D design software for the media & entertainment industry, will equip creators with access to its high-end 3D visual effects software and training. This includes the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Flame 3D visual effects software, Shotgun production pipeline management platform, and more. The past 20 winners of the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects in a Film used Autodesk solutions, including Life of Pi, Hugo and Avatar.
- Adobe will also support Creators' Space through the provision of creative applications and services, such as Adobe Creative Cloud, which gives users access to Adobe's entire collection of creative tools, and connects all creative assets across different mobile and desktop platforms. Adobe will also conduct seminars and workshops to equip creators with the skills to use the tools effectively.
- There will also be a cloud-based e-commerce platform which serves as a digital marketplace for content creators to upload their videos, and sell their content to potential buyers or broadcasters. The platform will be provided by Cloudstringers, which also provides creators analytical tools that will enable them to monitor the response from their audience to their content.
About Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA)
The Media Development Authority of Singapore (www.mda.gov.sg) promotes the growth of globally competitive film, television, radio, publishing, games, animation and interactive digital media industries. It also regulates the media sector to safeguard the interests of consumers, and promotes a connected society. MDA is a statutory board under the Ministry of Communications and Information (www.mci.gov.sg)
About Singapore Media Festival (SMF)
The Singapore Media Festival, hosted by Media Development Authority is set to become one of Asia's leading international media events, where the industry meets to discover the latest trends, talent and content in Asia for Film and TV. It brings together established media events – Singapore International Film Festival (SGIFF), Asia TV Forum & Market (ATF) and ScreenSingapore (SS), Asian Television Awards and Digital Matters, which will take place from 26 November to 6 December 2015.