The Video Games Classification System has two ratings:
Mature 18 (M18)
- Restricted to individuals who are at least 18 years old
- Game packaging must be affixed with M18 classification label and consumer advice
- Distributors must ensure that the game is not distributed to those below 18
Advisory 16 (ADV16)
- Suitable for individuals who are at least 16 years old
- Game packaging must be affixed with the ADV16 classification label with the advisory text “Suitable for 16 & Above”
For details on the content standards, please refer to the Video Game Classification Guidelines
Consumer advice is provided to help the public make informed choices. These are descriptors that highlight the key content concerns found in a game, such as violence, nudity and sexual scenes. Consumer advice and ratings should be affixed on the game packaging, and displayed on publicity materials where available.
For details on the affixing of classification labels and displaying of consumer advice, please refer to excerpts of Sections 8 and 9 of the Films (Classification and Licensing) Regulations 2019.
Media Classification Database
The Media Classification Database provides classification information on films, video games and arts entertainment events, to help members of the public make informed choices on media consumption. Click here to search for classification ratings.