Be aware of scammers impersonating as IMDA officers and report any suspicious calls to the police. Please note that IMDA officers will never call you nor request for your personal information. For scam-related advice, please call the Anti-Scam helpline at 1800-722-6688 or go to www.scamalert.sg.

Singapore Government Expected to Award S$700 million Worth of IT Contracts in Financial Year 2004

SINGAPORE – 04 FEB 2004

The Infocomm industry can look forward to continued IT business opportunities from the public sector this year.  About S$700 million worth of IT contracts will be awarded by public sector agencies in 2004, according to estimates ...

The Infocomm industry can look forward to continued IT business opportunities from the public sector this year.  About S$700 million worth of IT contracts will be awarded by public sector agencies in 2004, according to estimates aggregated by the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA). Purchases under contracts awarded in any one year are typically made over one or more financial years.  Revealing this today was Mrs Tan Ching Yee, IDA's Chief Executive Officer, at the first Industry Briefing for Business Opportunities for IT in the Public Sector. 

"The public sector continues to be an important trend-setter in IT procurement," said Mrs Tan," A combination of long-term planning and judicious investment in IT has enabled the public sector to improve efficiency and effectiveness, upgraded service quality, and delivered new services previously unavailable.  Despite the slower economic growth over the last 2 years, the value of IT contracts awarded each year remains at about the same level."

About 70% of this year's budget will be for hardware and software products such as new PCs, networks and software licenses.   The remaining 30% will go towards services such as consultancy, software development and systems integration.

The briefing was attended by more than 1,000 industry representatives.  Major IT buyers within the Government, viz., the Ministries of Defence, Education and Home Affairs and the Government Chief Information Office (GCIO) of the IDA, shared government-wide IT procurement plans.  Together, these accounted for more than 80% of the total contracts expected to be awarded in FY2004. 

Some key areas of focus for the government include central Government IT infrastructure, Infocomm Security, and Business Continuity Planning.

The Ministry of Defence shared that the key areas for FY2004 would be in building a Knowledge Enterprise, enhancing ICT Management and Security, as well as increasing awareness, access and the e-Service experience.

The Ministry of Education shared information from their Masterplan II for IT in Education. An "Innovate through Partnership" forum is planned for April 2004 to share more information with the industry on partnership opportunities with schools.

Key procurement areas for the Ministry of Home Affairs will centre around projects such as the IT Network infrastructure for the Singapore Civil Defence Force and the Prisons Technology Masterplan rollout.

Giving a note of encouragement to local IT companies who were present, Mrs Tan said, "Where our companies have delivered good solutions for Singapore and are ready to take these solutions to overseas market, (the) IDA's industry development team is happy to work with you to explore new markets."

For more information go to : http://www.egov.gov.sg/industry_briefing.htm


ISSUED BY CORPORATE COMMUNICATION DIVISION
INFOCOMM DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY OF SINGAPORE

About Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore

The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) develops, promotes and regulates info-communications in Singapore, with the aim of establishing Singapore as one of the world's premier infocomm capitals. To nurture an internationally competitive infocomm industry, IDA offers a comprehensive range of programmes and schemes for both local and international companies. For more information, visit https://www.imda.gov.sg/

For media clarification, please contact:

Mr Kelvin Lee
Manager, Corporate Communications
The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore
Tel: 62111726
E-mail: Kelvin_Lee@imda.gov.sg 

Ms May Lay Choon
Senior Corporate Communications Executive
Defence Science and Technology Agency
Tel: 68795086
E-mail: mlaychoo@dsta.gov.sg

Mr Alex Tan
Media Relations Officer, Public Affairs
Ministry of Defence
Tel: 67683048
E-Mail: tnamkee@starnet.gov.sg

Ms Foo Hui Hui
Head, Masterplan Project Office
Ministry of Education
Tel: 6879 6218
E-Mail: Foo_hui_hui@moe.gov.sg

Annie Lim Hong Gek
Public Communications Executive
Corporate Communications Division
Ministry of Home Affairs
Tel: 6478 6199
E-mail: Lim_hong_gek@mha.gov.sg

LAST UPDATED: 25 JUN 2024