10 March 2013 - The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) today announced it will showcase 9 innovative Singapore-born technology startups making their North American debut at the world's premiere interactive festival and conference, South by Southwest (SXSW), March 10-13 in Austin.
AUSTIN, Texas, 10 March 2013 | For Immediate Release
Stop by Singapore Alley to Explore Emerging Technologies, Investment and Partnership Opportunities Available in the Republic's Startup Ecosystem
The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) today announced it will showcase 9 innovative Singapore-born technology startups making their North American debut at the world's premiere interactive festival and conference, South by Southwest (SXSW), March 10-13 in Austin.
Already world renowned as a bustling financial center well-served by IT systems and infrastructure, Singapore is becoming a hotbed of tech startup activity in Asia as software, mobile app and Internet entrepreneurs turn out the next generation of technological innovations for businesses and consumers.
"IDA's startup programs aim to create incredible opportunities for these emerging businesses to explore new global market opportunities, through participation at SXSW. These events also serve as a prime discussion platform for international tech companies looking to put down roots in Asia," said Victor Tan , Center Director at IDA's U.S. headquarters in San Francisco. "Singapore's technology, talent and financial infrastructure provide an ideal springboard for expansion in the region for both home-grown and international companies based in Singapore."
SXSW attendees interested in learning more about the technologies, investment and partnership opportunities available with IDA-featured startups, or about how to leverage Singapore's strategic location to expand their own venture into Southeast Asia, can visit Singapore Alley at Aisle 900 inside the Austin Convention Center. Founders from the featured companies will be on-hand to discuss potential opportunities, while IDA representatives will share with North American tech ventures the advantages to establishing a business presence in Singapore.
Among the 9 companies to be spotlighted are:
- YouCommentate, a mobile app that-for the first time ever-gives sports fans a choice in commentary to listen to while watching games and matches. With YouCommentate, passionate sports fans can stream their own commentary to their friends and beyond for free. Fans can broadcast from anywhere-live at the stadium, from the comfort of their couch at home or at a favorite sports bar enjoying the game with friends. A single tap puts commentators live on the air, while other fans can listen in through YouCommentate.com or the mobile app.
- CarbonStory, a social giving community that lets users become part of the solution to climate change by sponsoring projects that offset their own carbon footprint. For just a few dollars per month, anyone can sponsor certified green projects around the world, become carbon neutral and share their involvement with friends via Facebook to encourage others to get involved. The platform includes gamified elements that reward sponsors with the opportunity to earn badges, certificates and other recognition for their contributions.
- Tell My Friends, a win-win media sharing and affiliate-marketing-style technology that allows anyone to share music, e-books, videos and apps with friends while countering online piracy. Rather than passing along illegally downloaded materials, Tell My Friends users can share a link to licensed content for each product they buy and earn money every time someone buys from the link shared.
- The Creative Finder, Winner of the 'Coolest Innovation' at Singapore's TechVenture 2012, will launch imgembed.com, offering free, fair and efficient use of images online. With image embeds, websites and bloggers can now use hosted images that are automatically attributed to the creators. Premium use of images are further enabled with CPM pricing (paying only for the actual impressions displayed). Creative Finder gives content owners maximum control,protection and ability to monetize their creative work, while giving bloggers and site designers access to great images without infringing on permissions and copyright.
In addition to the startups showcase, IDA together with Platinum Connection will organize a business match-making session from 4-6 p.m. on Sunday, March 10, followed immediately by an invitation-only VIP reception co-hosted with VentureBeat. From 12:30-2:30 p.m. on both Monday, March 11 and Wednesday, March 13, IDA will host Booth Crawls, and from 4-6 p.m. on Tuesday, March 12 will be participating in the trade show Block Party.
This is IDA's third time participating in SXSW. An agency of the Singapore government, IDA aims to develop a vibrant infocomm ecosystem where MNCs and innovative international companies work alongside local infocomm enterprises and startups to innovate and grow the infocomm industry. It also seeks opportunities to grow local infocomm companies by facilitating their access into the global marketplace. IDA's U.S. office provides business development, consultancy, partnership and collaboration facilitation, entrepreneurial education and support, as well as incubator office space and support services to Singapore companies, aimed at helping them establish a strong foothold for market expansion and business growth in North America.
ISSUED BY CORPORATE AND MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS DIVISION
INFOCOMM DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY OF SINGAPORE
- Singapore Alley Key Events, South by Southwest 2013 (125.09KB)
- Factsheet - Startups at the Singapore Alley, South by Southwest 2013 (136.72KB)
About Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore
The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) is committed to growing Singapore into a dynamic global infocomm hub. IDA uses an integrated approach to developing infocommunications in Singapore. This involves nurturing a competitive telecoms market as well as a conducive business environment with programmes and schemes for both local and international companies. For more news and information, visit www.ida.gov.sg.