Mr Lam Chuan Leong, Chairman Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore Welcome Address - Opening Ceremony of CommunicAsia 2000, Singapore Expo
Mr Lam Chuan Leong, Chairman
Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore
Welcome Address - Opening Ceremony of CommunicAsia 2000, Singapore Expo
Singapore, 6 June 2000
1. Good morning and a warm welcome to CommunicAsia2000.
2. The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) is pleased to host CommunicAsia this year. This event has come a long way since it started out as a telecommunications show in 1979. Today CommunicAsia has evolved to be a key infocomm event in Asia, showcasing not just telecommunications but also its convergence with media and information technology. About 2,000 companies around the world will showcase their products and services to an expected crowd of 30,000 trade visitors.
3. This convergence of telecommunications and infocomm technology has revolutionised the market place. Doing business on a global basis has never been easier, faster and cheaper. Technology today ensures instant information, greater connectivity with suppliers and customers and global economies of scale. Physical barriers are of no concern. Common business practices are replicated and developed in all the major cities and markets. Singapore with its pro-business policies, excellent infra-structure and educated workforce, is well plugged into the global market.
4. IDA has formulated Infocomm 21 as the blueprint for harnessing information and communication technologies for national competitiveness and improving our quality of life. A series of announcements have been made on the initiatives under Infocomm 21. These include liberalising the telecommunications market, helping Singaporeans go online, making Singapore the infocomm talent capital with a net-savvy workforce and developing the infocomm industry.
5. Our hosting of the CommunicAsia2000 exhibition and conference is another example of IDA working with the industry to help bring about our vision to make Singapore one of the key global infocomm hubs in Asia.
6. This event is an excellent platform for the exchange of views and direct interaction with the people, products and companies that are shaping the next century of technology solutions.
7. On this note, I would like to wish all those involved in CommunicAsia2000 every success, and to all our overseas visitors a fruitful and enjoyable stay in Singapore.
8. Thank you.