Ms Yong Ying-I, Chief Executive Officer Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore Welcome Remarks - MOU Signing Ceremony Between IDA and Gigamedia
Ms Yong Ying-I, Chief Executive Officer
Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore
Welcome Remarks - MOU Signing Ceremony Between IDA and Gigamedia
Singapore, 24 May 2000
1. Today, we are pleased to announce our partnership with GigaMedia to exchange online broadband content. GigaMedia is one of Taiwan's leading broadband Internet access and content provider.
2. Under the Memorandum of Understanding, GigaMedia will distribute some of their broadband content on Singapore ONE. This will add to the range and diversity of content and applications for our Singapore ONE users. IDA will similarly bring selected Singapore ONE content to Taiwan through GigaMedia's network. Both parties will also explore other areas of collaboration in future such as jointly developing technology for the exchange of broadband content.
3. Today's signing of MOU follows the footsteps of three recent MOUs, IDA has signed with US-based companies, On2.com and Innovatv and with the Australia-based Online Media Group in late April. The intention of these alliances is to bring a greater variety of content and services for our Singapore ONE users, as well as provide opportunities for collaboration with our partners and providers for the Asian market.
4. We are pleased to see these international broadband players putting their content on Singapore ONE. The entry of these players affirms Singapore as an ideal platform to develop and deploy interactive broadband multimedia services.
5. We hope that these international broadband players will foster closer ties with our existing partners to jointly develop more broadband content for the region. This will in turn provide opportunities for greater regional growth for Singapore's Interactive Broadband Multimedia Industry. This is part of our Infocomm 21 initiative announced by our Minister in April. Through these efforts, we hope to jumpstart the Interactive Broadband Multimedia industry and create a vibrant marketplace for the development of such content and services.
6. Our signing with GigaMedia today marks a significant step towards this development and we will be looking at more of such collaborations in the future with other key broadband players.
7. Let me take this opportunity to urge more international content players to leverage on Singapore ONE's strategic offerings and position to deploy their services. On our part, IDA will do our utmost to facilitate collaborations with partners and providers to deploy these services.
8. Thank you GigaMedia, Ladies and Gentlemen. Let's look forward to a vibrant and exciting Interactive Broadband Multimedia future for the region.