2 April 2007 - Speech By Mr Chan Yeng Kit, Chief Executive Officer, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore At The Opening Of The Alcatel-Lucent Asia Pacific IP Transformation Centre.
Speech By Mr Chan Yeng Kit, Chief Executive Officer, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore At The Opening Of The Alcatel-Lucent Asia Pacific IP Transformation Centre on 2 April 2007.
Mr Vince Pizzica, CTO (Asia Pacific), Alcatel-Lucent,
Mr Pierre-Alain Cadillon, SVP and Head of South East Asia, Alcatel-Lucent,
Mr Oliver Foo, Managing Director (Singapore and Brunei), Alcatel-Lucent,
Mr Ko Kheng Hwa, Managing Director, EDB,
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. Good Afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen. Together with my colleagues in EDB, I am pleased to be here to witness the launch of Alcatel-Lucent’s Asia Pacific IP Transformation Centre (AIPTC).
2. First of all, let me congratulate Alcatel-Lucent for their successful merger, to form one of the biggest network equipment providers in the world today.
3. I am excited to learn that Alcatel-Lucent has made the strategic decision to locate its AIPTC in Singapore. Like you, many multi-national corporations have used Singapore as a gateway to conduct business in this region and connect to the global marketplace. Strong infocomm capabilities and infrastructure is critical to support such MNCs. Singapore will therefore continue to invest and strengthen in our ICT infrastructure and capabilities.
4. Increasingly, Internet Protocol or IP will become the main transporter of information. Fittingly, the launch of Alcatel-Lucent’s AIPTC will help address the challenges in the management of complex IP infrastructure networks.
5. To expand on Mr Ko’s point on the development of manpower capabilities, I am happy to learn that Alcatel-Lucent is committed to provide leading-edge IP network training and development opportunities for its AIPTC employees. IDA hopes that this initiative can also be extended to students from Institutes of Higher Learning and professionals who are keen to upgrade their competencies in IP networking.
6. The AIPTC will provide the industry with collaboration opportunities, amongst both MNCs and local infocomm enterprises. The drive to develop an eco-system of partners will create innovation, value and make Singapore a showcase of the solutions developed on the Alcatel-Lucent platform to the Asia Pacific market. The AIPTC is Alcatel-Lucent’s affirmation of Singapore as the high-end infocomm technology hub of the region.
7. As we continue to grow the infocomm industry in Singapore, IDA welcomes companies like Alcatel-Lucent to use Singapore as a base for their activities. IDA looks forward to forging closer collaboration with leading industry partners to achieve our common vision of using infocomm technologies to enable businesses, transform our key economic sectors and more importantly, make Singapore an intelligent nation, a global city, powered by infocomm.
8. Thank you.