14 January 2008 - Speech By RADM(NS) Ronnie Tay, Chief Executive Officer, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore At The Launch Of SingTel Mobile iCentre, Comcentre.
Speech By RADM(NS) Ronnie Tay, Chief Executive Officer, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore At The Launch Of SingTel Mobile iCentre on 14 January 2008, Comcentre.
Mr Allen Lew, CEO of SingTel,
Ladies and Gentlemen.
1. I am delighted to be here to witness the launch of SingTel’s Mobile iCentre. First of all, let me congratulate SingTel on this exciting initiative that aims to enhance the capabilities of our local infocomm enterprises. This in turn will contribute to Singapore’s development as an innovation hub.
2. Today, there is a strong demand for innovative products and services that can adapt to the evolving competitive landscape. Two important ingredients - innovation and partnership - will help build a globally competitive infocomm industry in Singapore to strive in this landscape. Innovation is essential to economic growth and partnership catalyses innovation by providing a supply of new ideas. In addition, partnership creates greater depth and diversity and helps the industry stay vibrant and relevant.
3. To this end, IDA will continue to have in place programmes and initiatives that help our infocomm local enterprises (iLEs) foster strategic partnerships and build new capabilities in innovative emerging technologies quickly. This would allow them to develop world class products and services that can compete in the global market. One such initiative is the infocomm Local Industry Upgrading Programme (iLIUP) which relies on strong partnerships with established larger industry players to help our iLEs gain a foothold in the local and global Infocomm landscape.
4. Similarly, the launch of SingTel Mobile iCentre today, brings together MNCs and local ICT companies in the mobile space to co-develop, test, and market mobile applications and contents to local markets and beyond.
5. It is encouraging to note that the seven MNCs, namely the High Tech Computer Corporation (HTC), Microsoft, Nokia Forum, Motorola, Research in Motion (RIM), Sony Ericsson and Nokia-Siemens Network, have pledged to be part of this eco-system. Such an eco-system will see SingTel providing network access for the local infocomm companies to develop and test new mobile solutions and at relatively low cost. In addition, the companies can also benefit from SingTel’s regional network to bring these solutions to markets outside Singapore.
6. Through such strategic partnerships, there are many opportunities for innovation in mobile applications and contents. For the local infocomm companies, they can generate their own intellectual property in products and services which will serve them well in the global market. For the consumers, the innovative products and services will certainly enhance their connectivity and mobility in the Digital Age.
7. IDA is excited by the possibilities created by this initiative, and I want to take this opportunity to congratulate SingTel and the MNC partners on the launch of the SingTel Mobile iCentre. IDA would also be most happy to support similar initiatives by other operators and industry partners, that would help create a vibrant and conducive environment for innovation and partnership to flourish.
8. Finally, I wish the SingTel Mobile iCentre every success and look forward to your innovations! Thank you.