About Future Communications Research and Development Programme (FCP)
Communications and connectivity is a critical foundational technology that supports Singapore’s economy. As Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) continues to architect Singapore’s digital future, we will continue to lead and drive our 5G plans, bolstering local capabilities and fostering partnerships in 5G and future communications technologies.
IMDA and National Research Foundation Singapore (NRF) are investing close to S$70 million through the launch of Singapore’s first national Future Communications Research and Development Programme (FCP), to jumpstart cutting-edge communications and connectivity research. This grows local capability, to translate into innovative products, services and companies.
The four-year programme hosted by the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) comprises:
- Development of Future Communications Connectivity Lab at SUTD and Future Communications Translation Lab at SIT
- Grant calls for R&D on future communications technologies
- Support for local talent pursuing research in future communications technologies
- International Partnership for future communications technologies
The FCP is supported under Singapore’s Research, Innovation and Enterprise (RIE) efforts, where Communications and Connectivity is one of the key technology area in the Smart Nation and Digital Economy (SNDE) domain. The FCP will coordinate multidisciplinary research efforts across the RIE ecosystem, with Research Institutes (RIs), Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs) and other RIE efforts.
As host institution, SUTD will lead collaboration across the Singapore ecosystem – Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU), National University of Singapore (NUS), and Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).
Companies with research and innovation problems, are welcome to contact the FCP Office to explore potential collaborations, and leverage on the FCP programme to translate research into market-ready solutions.
Research and Industry Opportunities
FCP encourages collaboration between industry and research ecosystem. It will provide easy access to testbeds to facilitate development of 5G in Singapore and future communication technologies.
Grants calls will be issued for research and translation projects in the area of future communications technologies to address industry challenges. Do look out for announcements from FCP on the grant calls.
FCP seeks to collaborate with R&D partners both domestically and internationally to explore opportunities in joint research and/or educational projects, as well as joint workshops to exchange and strengthen knowledge in the area of future communications and its applications.
To strengthen our pool of talents in this area, the FCP will support Masters-level scholarships for local students in Singapore to pursue research and translational projects related to future communications technologies, from 2021 to 2025.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Singaporean citizens;
- Full-time or part-time Masters students enrolled in the Institution’s degree programmes in the area of future communications;
- Postgraduate programme has to be future comms-related and offered by the 4 autonomous universities (AUs) namely NTU, NUS, SIT and SUTD;
- The Recipient must not concurrently hold any other awards such as scholarships, grants or bursaries;
- The Recipient will have to meet the same graduation requirements as the Institution’s Masters candidates in accordance with the Institution’s prevailing academic policies. The Recipient must fulfil the graduation requirements by 30 April 2025.
Successful applicants will be given support for:
- Tuition fees and Compulsory Miscellaneous Fees (CMF);
- For full-time candidates only: The Recipient shall be entitled to the monthly stipend aligned to prevailing rates set by MOE and University guidelines;
- For full-time candidates only: Employer’s share of the CPF contributions levied on the monthly stipend at the prevailing rates.
For more information, you may visit the website at https://fcp.sutd.edu.sg/scholarships/ to find out the Point of Contact of the respective AUs.
FCP is a national partnership that pulls together Singapore’s communications and connectivity capabilities. Operations of FCP will be overseen by a Steering Committee comprising field experts from all Singapore-based research institutions, and key government agencies.
The Steering Committee will be helmed by co-chairs, Mr Lew Chuen Hong, Chief Executive, IMDA, and Professor Chua Kee Chaing, President, SIT. The programme will be headed by Programme Director, Professor Tony Quek, SUTD.
For enquires about the progamme, please visit the website at https://fcp.sutd.edu.sg/.
Alternatively, you may contact the FCP Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.