In view of the evolving COVID-19 virus situation, the Singapore Government has imposed safe distancing measures to minimise activities and exposure. Please see advisory here for more information.
A Film Exhibition Licence is required for all entities that are carrying out the activities of publicly exhibiting films and videos in the course of their business, unless exempted. The public exhibition of films includes films streamed over the Internet or transmitted via commercial satellite links to a public audience.
A Film Exhibition Licence is not required for exhibition of films classified as G, PG or PG13. There are two types of Film Exhibition Licences:
- Film Exhibition Licence
- Film Exhibition Licence (Temporary)
Who is this for?
- Film Exhibition Licence: For companies or organisations that wish to publicly exhibit films classified as NC16, M18 or R21.
- Film Exhibition Licence (Temporary): For the exhibition of NC16, M18 or R21 films for a period of up to 30 days.
The following activities are exempted from licensing:
- Public exhibition of films that are broadcast free-to-air.
- Publicly exhibiting films that fall under the exempted categories.
- Publicly exhibiting films with a classification rating of “G”, “PG” or “PG13”.
For more information on the exemptions, please see Films (Licence – Exemption) Notification 2019 (42.82KB).
Film Exhibition Licence
- Licence Fees: $600 for 1 year.
$1,500 for 3 years.
- Security Deposit: S$20,000 is required, in the form of a banker’s guarantee or via GIRO.
As of 17 April 2020, IMDA has waived all fees for the 1-year and 3-year Film Exhibition Licences.
Security Deposit requirements continue to apply.
Film Exhibition Licence (Temporary)
- Licence Fees: $100 for 1 month.
- Security Deposit: S$10,000 is required, in the form of a banker’s guarantee or via GIRO for each exhibition point.
Licence Fees and Security Deposit requirements for Film Distribution Licence (Temporary) continue to apply.
Note: The banker’s guarantee must be issued by any of the financial institutions listed at https://eservices.mas.gov.sg/fid.
How to apply?
- Any company or business registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) may apply for a Film Exhibition Licence.
- Submit the application via GoBusiness providing us the following:
- An overview of the film exhibition/business mechanics.
- Include the type of age-check mechanisms to ensure age-restricted videos are exhibited to patrons of the appropriate age.
Click here to apply online via GoBusiness.
Please call 1800 478 5478 or email us.