The Service-Based Operations (SBO) Licence allows an operator to provide services-based telecommunications services in Singapore. Learn more about the requirements and regulations set forth by IMDA to ensure compliance with regulatory standards and promote a competitive market environment.
Who is this for?
Operators who intend to:
- Lease telecommunication network elements (such as transmission capacity and switching services) from any IMDA-licensed Facilities-Based Operator (FBO) to provide their own telecommunication services;
- Resell telecommunication services of FBOs to third parties; or
- Deploy telecommunication network, systems and facilities within their own property boundaries, but wish to offer telecommunication services to third parties residing within their property boundaries.
Depending on the scope of the operation and nature of the service, a telecommunication service-based operator can be licensed under one of two categories:
SBO (Individual) Licence
- In general, operators who lease international transmission capacity to provide their services would be licensed individually.
- These would be companies incorporated or foreign companies registered under the Companies Act 1967.
SBO (Class) Licence
- A range of telecommunication service-based operations and services fall under this category.
- These may be companies incorporated or foreign companies registered under the Companies Act 1967 including Limited Liability Partnerships or Limited Partnerships.
For more information about the two categories of SBO Licences, please refer to the SBO Guidelines below.
|SBO(Individual) Licence Licence Fees
|First S$50 million in AGTO
|Next S$50 – S$100 million in AGTO
|0.5% AGTO annually
|Above S$100 million in AGTO
|0.8% AGTO annually
|Live Audiotex services only
|S$200 every five-yearly
|SBO (Class) Licence)
|$200 (one-time payment)
|Call-back and call-origination services
|Internet-based voice and data services
|International calling card services
|Store-and-forward value-added network services
|Store-and-retrieve value-added network services (where leased circuits are used)
|Store-and-retrieve value-added network services (where no leased circuits are used)
|No fee payable
|Resale of public switched telecommunication services
|Public Chain Payphone Service
For details, please refer to the SBO Guidelines below.
How to apply?
Apply online via GoBusiness.
Please take note of guidelines and requirements:
- Please refer to:
a. SBO Guidelines (346.58KB) – for more information about:
- the regulatory framework for the two categories of SBO licences
- application procedures
- licence fees
- provision and update of information
- instructions and requirements for the submission of Annual Gross Turnover (“AGTO”) reports
c. IP Telephony Framework – for applicants intending to offer IP Telephony services.
e. Wholesale Framework (120.08KB) – for applicants intending to offer mobile services.
- Please provide all required and relevant supporting documents for your online application, including:
a. ACRA Bizfile Report
b. Service descriptions and network diagrams of the intended services to be offered
c. 3-year projected CAPEX
d. For Prepaid Services: 3-year projected cash flow statement and source of funding.
Note: For prepaid services, the applicant company must have at least $100,000 in paid-up capital.